The following agencies have been known to assist people who may need help paying utility bills. FreeState Electric Cooperative is not affiliated with any of these organizations. Contact information is provided as a courtesy to you. 
Leavenworth, Jefferson, Jackson, Wabaunsee 
Electricity and Housing 
Douglas and Osage 

Community Action Inc of Topeka 

LIEAP - Energy Assistance - Economic & Employment Services ( 


Good Shepherd Thrift Shop 
M,W,F,S 9am – 2pm Store Hours 
M,W,F,S 9am – 11am Assistance Hours 

Jefferson County Service Organization 
8:30am – 4pm 

Salvation Army Locations  
(Apply for Gift of Warmth here) 
1320 SE 6th St. 
Topeka, KS 66607 

946 N. New Hampshire 
Lawrence, KS 66044 

600 Walnut 
Leavenworth, KS   

926 Commercial 
Atchison, KS  66002 

Help House (Salvation Army Funding) 
131 W. 15th S 
Lyndon, KS  

Help House, Lyndon, KS 
Osage Co. residents only 
Contact: Scott Perkins 

Doorstep, Inc. 
1119 SW 10th Ave. 
Topeka, KS 66604 
Office hours: M-F 8 am - 3 pm 
Client service hours: M-F 9 am - 1:45 pm 


SRS Offices 
Northeast Regional Service Center 
500 Van Buren, Topeka KS 66603 
Phone: (785) 296-2500 TDD: 1-800-766-3777 
Fax: (785) 296-5666 

710 S. 9th. St., Suite C, Atchison KS 66002 
Phone: (913) 367-5345 TDD: 1-800-766-3777 
Fax: (913) 367-1926 

1901 Delaware, Lawrence KS 66046 
Phone: (785) 832-3700 TDD: 1-800-766-3777 
Fax: (785) 832-3771 

515 Limit Suite 100, Leavenworth KS 66048 
Phone: (913) 680-2200 TDD: 1-800-766-3777 
Fax: (913) 680-2126 


Catholic Charities Family Support Centers 

502 Kansas Avenue 
Atchison, KS 66002 
Phone: 913-367-5070 

1525 West 6th St. 
Lawrence, KS 66044 
Phone: 785-856-2694 

716 North 5th St. 
Leavenworth, KS 66048 
Phone: 913-651-8060 

234 South Kansas Ave. 
Topeka, KS 66603 
Phone: 785-233-6300 


American Red Cross - Kansas 

1321 SW Topeka Boulevard 
Topeka, KS 66612 


God’s Storehouse Clothing and furniture 

1211 SW Chelsea Dr. 
Topeka, KS  66614 


Let’s Help, Inc. 
200 S. Kansas 
Topeka, KS 


Topeka North Outreach 
Utility Assistance for North Topeka only 


Warm Hearts of Douglas County 
Apply | Warm Hearts | Charity ( 
Douglas County Residents only 
All electric heat residences only 







The Kansas Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) is a Federally-funded program that helps eligible households pay a portion of their home energy costs by providing a one-time per year benefit. Benefit levels vary according to the following factors: 1) Household income, 2) number of persons living at the address, 3) type of dwelling, 4) type of heating fuel, and 5) utility rates.

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of the state of Kansas and you must need financial assistance for home energy costs.

Visit LIHEAP FAQs for Consumers | The Administration for Children and Families ( if you have more questions. 

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) provides grants to states, territories, and some Indian tribes to improve the energy efficiency of the homes of low-income families. These governments, in turn, contract with local governments and nonprofit agencies to provide weatherization services to those in need using the latest technologies for home energy upgrades.

For this program, you must be a resident of the state of Kansas. Preference may be given to:

  • People over 60 years of age
  • Families with one or more members with a disability
  • Families with children (in most states)